The Dragon was built by Chantier de la Touques Deauville in 1968. With, so I was told, material coming from Borresen in Denmark. The boat is ,apart from two more winches, a real copy of the Borresen dragon.
There were several owners who did not sail much apart from a notary from Deauville who tuned the boat for racing.
New roof in 1988 and a new deck in 1989.
I bought the boat in 1999 and did a lot of work on it:
- damaged wood on the ribs (spanten,varangues) was chiselled off and re-laminated with oak and West epoxy.
- The ballast was taken off, sandblasted, epoxied and fitted back with new A4 inox bolts.
- By drying the boat opened up on many places between the planks. The spaces were closed with mahogany strips glued in place with epoxy.
- Two layers of 2 composite varnish inside, painting of the hull an 5 or six layers of Bottoncoat CR in the bilges and underwater part of the boat made her stable and completely watertight.
- New bilge pump and some other parts (ordered from Borresen were fitted in. All inox parts were polished an chromed parts (eg winches) re-chromed.
I sailed the boat for two seasons but as I had also an other boat (F31 trimaran, I cannot sail two boats), the dragon was stored.
I wil have to check in my workhouse, I think there are two jibs, two mainsails and one spinnaker.
There is also a steel trailer which I painted with anti-rust and managed to have registered in Belgium.
There is some aesthetic work to be done eg. varnish but I dare say that this wooden boat is in perfect condition to last another 50 years.
Conclusion: a splendid wooden dragon waiting for a proud owner!!
+32 477 612661